Thursday, June 18, 2009

My Internship..

Internships are seen by us university students as opportunities to discover general career possibilities as well as the real world. Such arrangements can provide us with valuable work experience and an opportunity to line up a job prior to graduation. In addition to securing good work experience, we also may be able to gain academic credit and sometimes, though rarely, financial compensation.
Internships need to be supervised, and the choice of supervisors is what makes the internship experience rewarding or disappointing. For that reason respectful companies choose enthusiastic supervisors who have time to deal with the responsibilities associated with the intern in addition to his regular daily job.
As a requirement to achieve my degree in communication arts, I have to enroll in a 60 hour internship in anything that has to do with my major. In Spring 2009 I registered in the course COA 480 – internship for Radio TV and Film- and applied to several companies in order to be accepted. I got accepted by several companies one of which is News Time Production House. I began as an intern there on March 2009 and the whole ambiance in the company was fascinating as well as extremely friendly. This helped me not only complete my 60 hour internship, but enroll in more hours. I finished my internship by doing more than 80 hours in this lovely company and the only reason I stopped was because I had so many projects and assignments for university and this internship was taking so much of my time. If I have the choice again to choose where to do my internship, I would most definitely choose News Time Production House and of course choose my supervisor Mr. Mohammad Dakroub to supervise my whole activities during this time.
Describe your internship in details: type and nature, time and placeI began my internship at News Time Production on the beginning of March 2009. News Time Production House is located in Riad Al Soloh Square in Downtown Beirut , in Shaker& Oueini Bldg on the 6th floor. Since this production house deals with transmitting feeds through the satellite, part of my job as an intern in this company was to book space segments and coordinate between the office here in Beirut and clients in Paris, Dubai, and Moscow. In addition to booking segments, the other part of my internship was to edit stories for different clients such as Dubai Television, Russia Today, and France 24. Also I had the chance to be a part of newly founded entertainment program where I had the opportunity to be a part of the production team. In other words, I helped during the casting sessions and during the reading and correcting of the script for the first episode. I worked for about three months in news time production, from the beginning of March 2009 to mid May 2009.
Do you like your internship? Did you enjoy it? If yes, what did you enjoy most? If no, please explain in detail?I believe my internship was one of a kind. Although tiring, I actually had a lot of fun! To begin with, my supervisor Mr. Mohammad Dakroub helped me a lot to get in touch with the real working life and dilemmas. He pushed me to work in every part of the company from booking segments to contacting clients outside Lebanon to editing various stories to asking for interviews with ministers or society people. I enjoyed every aspect of my internship – regardless of having to wake up really early. But, the two fields I mostly enjoyed working in were production and editing. Production is really nice since you feel you are in charge of everything though you can be just an intern. Editing, on the other hand, is something I liked from before. But, working in this company helped me learn new editing techniques as well as new editing programs. I used to work on Adobe premiere pro. Now, I am able to work on Avid and Premiere both on the same professional levels.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License.